What is a Walk in Penn’s Woods?
Walk in Penn’s Woods is for people across Pennsylvania to visit and learn about the forests that enhance our well-being. Forests are always working for us, providing recreation, wildlife habitat, beauty, improved water quality, clean air, wood products, carbon storage, and more.
Walk in Penn’s Woods, a statewide coordinated event on the first Sunday in October, encourages people across Pennsylvania to learn how their local woods work, see forests in new ways, and appreciate and love the forests so that we can all care well for them.
Why host? With a goal of getting people in every county across the state out in the woods, we need many landowners, partners in state and municipal parks and forests, forests industry, land trusts, trail groups, and others to provide accessible walks to get the public out into Penn’s Woods.
As someone who cares about Penn’s Woods, you are our best advocate to share that care with others.
Don’t have time? Walk times and lengths are flexible!
- Worried it will be to much work? Trained volunteers are willing to help you.
- Don’t know how? We will share resources that walk you through the nuts and bolts of a successful woods walk.
- Worried about cost? Mini-grants help offset costs, from renting a port-a-potty to providing cookies.
- Is liability a concern? New legislation in PA protects landowners from liability when land is opened to recreational and educational opportunities. Insurance one-day riders also provide ease of mind.
- … We can help!
You can host a Walk in Penn’s Woods!
Who me? Yes, you! Because:
- You are an expert in your woods. You love them, you own them, you are taking care of them – careful tending is a story that people want to hear.
- You manage or study or teach about woodlands and want to share you expert perspective with others.
- You proudly work with a sustainable product from Penn’s Woods.
- You want to connect youth to the woods and the outdoors.
- Your passion and enthusiasm for our woods make you an outstanding advocate for Penn’s Woods to the Commonwealth’s citizens.
- A group of students teaches tree identification at a local state park,
- A small landowner shares their woods/demonstrates a portable sawmill,
- A wellness center hosts a quiet forest bathing experience,
- A forester gives a tour of a recent sustainable timber harvest.
- American chestnuts, bird ID, a champion sugar maple, forest history, game food plots, old growth, new young woods, urban trees, even a driving tour have been highlights of past Walks in Penn’s Woods!
Ready to sign up or request more information?
Or call us toll-free: